Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Internet; Is It King of Tool for Online Coworking?

After reading two articles; Endless Knots: Brainstorming? and Try doing it virtually and Coworking is (also): Working Together Online, I thought about many team projects in University. It is very familiar with me, because of the characteristic of my major, business administration, and I have been working very much team projects including this class.

I am pessimist of the effect of online coworking. In Korea, I did many team projects in class and after being selected in one group, every team members exchange their online messenger ID to communicate and meet by it, and phone number. There is a principle to all students; If you don’t have to meet at midnight, don’t have group meeting by on-line messenger. That’s because whenever people have meeting by Internet messenger, some people (or all) always do another things like Facebook something. I think you guys totally agree with this theory. Right?

However, I also agree with online coworking is doing many things in group projects. It gives convenience to communicate each other (it’s very ironic!) and gather information which is searched by each person. I usually exploited Club at Cyworld (it’s very very common in university students in Korea.) and upload all of materials done by them in the bulletin board. This process provides multi communication between all team members unlike E-mail communication.

To summary, clearly, online coworking itself cannot show its maximum effect. In my opinion, that’s because we are People, not Computers. We should think, read, and do separately the condition of Internet coworking.

2 comments:

  1. I too am a pessimist of online coworking mostly because of what you said, too many distractions. By meeting in person, you are devoted to the task at hand rather than chatting away to your other friends or doing other work. I think it's much more effective to meet in person rather than work online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. It is so hard to focus to work online with all the other stuff like facebook and email being so accessible. I think that using of tools that you mentioned (bulletin board etc) is very useful, but should be supplemental rather than it becoming THE working place.

    ReplyDelete